IB Core Requirements
Extended Essay (EE)
The Extended Essay (EE) offers students the chance to investigate a subject of interest, usually (but not limited to) one of the student’s six IB subjects. It promotes self-directed research and intellectual discovery and creativity, resulting in approximately 40 hours of work, written in an essay of maximum 4000 words.
Students are expected to:
- Plan and pursue a research project with intellectual initiative and insight.
- Gather and interpret material from sources appropriate to the research question.
- Structure a reasoned argument in response to the research question on the basis of the material gathered.
- Present their extended essay in a format appropriate to the subject acknowledging sources in one of the established academic ways such as MLA.
- Use terminology and language appropriate to the subject with skill and understanding.
- Apply analytical and evaluative skills appropriate to the subject, with an understanding of the implications and the context of their research.